1 reviews | Active since Jan 2014
Not caring enough to look into obvious mistakes - further wasting my time, money and energy
I left the following review on this exact same now more-than-3-month-long-ordeal of a further lending application on Hello Peter on 20 Sept:
https://www.hellopeter.com/first-national-bank/reviews/zero-logic-lack-of-basic-maths-during-calculations-and-unanswered-questions-***
After that I received a phonecall on 27 Sept from Victoria Mbhalati from the Home & Structured Lending Solution dept, who said that she fully understood my frustration with this application and that it is fully justified, seeing that it makes no sense that the same bank, based on an applicant's exact same details, could provide 2 such very different quotes i.t.o. both the Loan-To-Value %'s and well as interest rate %'s. She said that seeing that there must clearly have been errors made at the credit dept during the application processes, she would raise it again with the FNB credit dept in the hope that they will revisit the applications and correct the mistakes that were made. I also specifically asked that I wanted feedback on how they managed to get to such vastly different results in the first place (seeing that besides the frustration caused, these mistakes will end up costing me a lot of money) - but I obviously still haven't received any related feedback on this from anyone at FNB...
In the meantime I also informed FNB, that seeing that the reason for me wanting to take out further lending was that I wanted to urgently invest the money, that I felt like due to FNB having already taken about 2 and half months with my application at that point in time (a period during which I could easily have app**** for - and received the funds in my account if done via any other bank in South Africa) - due to the long delays on FNB's side, I was now left with no other choice than to take out the further lending with FNB instead any of the other banks that we have bonds with (this combined with the fact that these 2 FNB bonds are some of our oldest bonds that we have, i.e. they have to biggest "available funds"), and that I thus really didn't want to have to wait any longer unless they will definitely be able to improve on the quote/offer available to me at that point in time. I raised this with FNB on 24 Sept.
After my conversation with Mrs Mbhalati on 27 Sept, I then didn't hear back from anyone at FNB for a few days and followed up 3 more times from my side (without any response) until I eventually received the following feedback on 6 Oct:
"Good day Mr. Coetzee
Apologies for the delayed response.
I have liaised with Sinethemba and she has confirmed that your Structured Loan application is in progress.
Unfortunately, we have been unable to get the 80% approval increased to 100% on the further loan. This is due to the approval being in line with the valuation of the property. We cannot approve a loan amount that is higher than the property value.
Pricing have also advised that the interest rate approved on the further lending is the best that they can offer at the moment. We are hoping to negotiate a competitive rate on the Structured Loan.
Regards Victoria Mbhalati"
I then rep**** and raised the following:
"The above statement makes no sense at all. The approval % is a % on the valuation of the property - I didn't request for a (higher than) 100% approval vs the valuation (that won't make sense) - I merely requested for the 85%-of-the-valuation-amount to be increased to 100%... exactly like they did on the other property that we app**** for with the exact same applications details (which has a higher valuation than the property on which they only offered 85%)."
I'm still not sure if Mrs Mbhalati conveyed whatever communication she received from the credit dept correctly to me or if she perhaps misunderstood it herself (for FNB and its clients' sake I hope that the latter was the case - because if this is indeed the exact feedback received from the people/dept making the big calls in the FNB credit dept, FNB is obviously doomed), but what is also a big concern is that irrespective of where things went wrong internally, there were more people included in Mrs Mbhalati's email - Refilwe Maganedisa, David Sebastian and I then also copied in another manager who was assigned to this query at an earlier stage - Mr Renaldo De La Rey - and even though I raised the mistake and asked for feedback/clarity on it, I didn't hear back from any of them - my only assumption being that they knew that FNB clearly made big mistakes, which they couldn't explain to me - and sadly didn't bother to get to the bottom of solving the problem, but seemingly rather hoping that I would just accept FNB's mistakes - which is going to cost me a lot of money over the next 20 years - and merely suck it up and move on.
By now, sadly not surprisingly at all, I then received another "final approval" yesterday - with the SAME COMBINED LOAN-TO-VALUE % - and more frustratingly also the SAME UNCHANGED INTEREST RATE as the offer that was on the table when I told them on 24 Sept (exactly a month ago today), that I didn't want them to make this linger on for longer in case they can't assure me that the final approval would definitely be approved upon. I had my doubts about this at the time but was then informed that they since picked up that there were "big mistakes" made when our 2 separate bond applications were first captured - which was the reason that they got to such different outcomes - and that the application was thus deferred accordingly by the credit dept - thus giving me (lots of) hope that the extra month that I had to wait (a month during which the stock I want to invest the money in went up by 15%!), would be worth it in the end (as as we all now, every half a % on a bond, especially a relatively big combined bond as this one, makes a massive difference), but clearly it was just a further waste of time and energy during which no manager at FNB cared enough to look into this deeper to avoid me as the client feeling as frustrated and disappointed as I do now - not only because the final approval wasn't improved on (noting that it is now actually 0.25% WORSE than what I was under the impression it was a month ago - as I have since also been informed that we also don't qualify for the 0.25% concession they first added in the case of us meeting their "main banking criteria), but also because if they didn't further waste my time and energy during this past month - and I invested the money as planned at an earlier stage, I would've already earned 15% on that investment.... not impressed at all...
*To whoever receives this review on FNB's end - please don't make the same mistake by escalating this review to the same management team who couldn't bother about it sooner - escalate it to THEIR management so that they can see what it going on internally at FNB, so that FNB can hopefully use this as constructive criticism and actually improve on its service delivery, thanks.
