Discovery Health refuses possible lifesaving medication
Published by linda2045 on Jul 11, 2017

Discovery Health refuses possible lifesaving medication

After being members on Discovery Health since 2001, I processed a valid application for chronic medication that was approved by a Professor of Rheumatology and The South African Rheumatology Association (SARA).

We are on the Classic Comprehensive plan which covers the condition SLE, however Discovery turned down the request for funding of the chronic medication and 6 weeks later we still have no written reasons for this.

My condition has become life threatening and I am in acute pain, whilst waiting for Discovery to provide us with feedback. After numberous calls and escalating it to their management, we still to-date have not received any favourable feedback, either to ourselves or my treating doctor.

2 weeks ago
Official business reply:

Dear linda2045

Your concerns are important to us and we will be in touch soon with an answer to your comments.

Regards
Discovery Health Servicing Team

1 week ago
Official business reply:

Dear linda2045

We have been in touch with you to answer your comments.

Regards
Discovery Health Servicing Team

1 week ago
linda2045:

Discovery Call Center Agent called me back today  advising that they still will NOT FUND the medication that I AM IN DIRE NEED OF. However they will send me a letter in due course (after waiting over 6 weeks) explaining the reasons why their "EXTERNAL PANEL" declined the funding of the chronic medication.

The call centre agent was responding to the HelloPeter post and all she said was that they will forward a letter with reasons why they will not be paying for the medication, NOT that they will reconsider the fact that I am in dire need of this life saving medication. My treating Rheumatologist has exhausted every possible medication and it has NOT assisted the SLE condition, hence why we have requested and SARA has approved the Mabthera chronic medication but Discovery's "External Panel in all their wisdom", still disapproves this medication dues to their expert opinion and medical reasons.

Discovery Health is callous, pathetic, and uninterested in the well-being of their clients!! That is a fact and the sad reality, that I need to post it on HelloPeter for clients to concure...

Public Comments