AT
Abegail T

1 reviews | Active since Jun 2021

16 Jun 2021, 10:01

Choosing discovery was the worst decision I have made

I’m a very hurt and disappointment!!! I have a 3 year old son who was diagnosed with ALL in 2018 but currently in remission , however Last year November I added my son as my dependent on my discovery keycare plan which was approved with his existing condition but with a 1 year waiting period for the existing condition which is okay. My son fell sick the 12th of May coughing so hard and started complaining about pains in his chest , I then decided to take him to a doctor who took an X-ray and the results came out that my son has bronchitis and pneumonia and they had to hospitalize him because he also had breathing difficulties. When I got to the hospital I disclosed to the doctor that my son has an existing condition and my medical scheme required a 1 year waiting period for the existing condition, the doctor advised that we not treating any of that now your medical aid will cover for the pneumonia and bronchitis, she then called my medical scheme for authorization and they told us to wait for 8 hours until they can give us a go ahead , I then decided to take my sick child home with me and bought some meds for him while we wait for the authorization. Next morning at 8 I called my medical scheme to find out if they do give the authorization or I should just take my child to a public hospital because he was getting worse, spoke to the consultant and she gave me the authorization number I then rushed back to the hospital . My son got admitted for pneumonia and bronchitis I was now relieved that my son was getting treated . Later that evening the doctor recognized that my son has a virus on his lungs but was not sure exactly which one exactly so they had to run more tests to check what was it and I was informed that my son does not have enough blood the virus is suppressing his bone marrow , they then decided to take him to the intensive care ward because the virus was worse than they thought, remember guys I am not a doctor I wouldn’t know what is what the doctor had to do what it takes to save my son so she prescribed some meds and also did a blood transfusion, the doctor called my sons professor getting more information about the existing condition because she was also getting worried what was wrong and she was informed to do a bone marrow transplant to see if the leukemia is back or what since my son was in remission and the test results came out negative, the doctor continued to treat the pneumonia and bronchitis and my son was discharged a week later and now medical scheme is declining the claim , why did they even authorize the claim if they knew they will not cover

0
Replies (1)
Discovery Health
Discovery Health's reply17 Jun 2021, 07:05
Official
Dear Abegail T

We’ve noted your concerns and we’re investigating the matter. We’ll contact you with feedback as soon as possible.

Regards
Discovery Health Servicing Team