1 reviews | Active since Apr 2020
Disgruntled client! Covid 19 cancellation unsuccessful!
Good day! I am very discussed and disappointed in Airb&b! We planned a holiday to Cape Town, South Africa, in June 2020! Due to the Covid 19 Pandemic, and school holidays being shortened in June, I already moved our dates to the last week in June until 3 July 2020.
Then Lockdown level 5 came, originally for 21 days, and on the last week it was extended, FOR another 2 weeks, giving us a total lockdown for 5 Weeks! Last week the Government announced that we will gradually move from level 5-1, where level 4 is almost as bad as level 5 and traveling between Provinces for leisure and holidays will only be permitted at level ONE. I have been trying to inquire about canceling our reservation since the beginning of April 2020 but to no avail! We are all in private sector businesses and forced to stay home, but still need to pay our employees! No business NO MONEY!
The school terms and holidays are still uncertain and WE just don’t know what things will hold in for South Africa at this stage, the lockdown will not be lifted and even if it is, our children must return to school, so we cannot go on holiday!!!!
I cancelled our reservations last night, only to discover that AIRB&B is keeping their SERVICE FEE, that the Covid 19 relief policy, is only applicable to bookings up until 31.05.2020, and for the rest Of my money, I must bargain with the HOSTS. I feel utterly discussed with the way I have been treated. We are NOT IN THE USA, the same rules does NOT APPLY AND NO SERVICE HAS BEEN RENDERED UP UNTIL NOW! If I had to wait until 31May, before canceling, I would have lost everything I Paid!
Most of the hosts were very understanding and had no problem to give me a full refund, but Not Airbnb! I even send the the lockdown proposed rules, and they just said that there is no dates determining the different levels,so sorry go to hell! Knowing Mr Ramaphosa it will not be shorter than 3 weeks and most likely even longer.... The Western Cape has the highest Covid 19 cases, and surely it is my human right to decide whether it is SAFE FOR MY FAMILY TO TRAVEL AND TAKE THE RISK?????
My other concern is a booking made for December 2020 in Namibia, what if we are not allowed to cross the borders for Botswana or Namibia? What then? Again a great financial loss for my family! I promise to NEVER EVER BOOK THROUGH AIRBNB AGAIN AND WILL NOT HESITATE TO TELL EVERYONE ABOUT THE TERRIBLE WAY THEY HAVE SERVICED ME! Willmine Lewis ***
